Delicious Nettles Pesto
Nettles, a spring food are incredibly healthy and nourishing. This is my favorite way (so far) to get my nettles on. You can easily adapt this recipe to basil if you’re cleansing during a time without Nettles.
1 bunch of fresh Nettles
1⁄2 C pine nuts (if you can’t tolerate pine nuts try almonds, walnuts or cashews)
2-3 cloves garlic (chopped)
Olive oil (best to do this by sight, but start with 1/8-1/4 C)
Salt to taste.
- Use tongs to handle Nettles, they will sting you until blanched!
- Bring a pot of filtered water to boil enough to submerge the bunch ofnettles you have.
- Rinse the Nettles- using tongs- in a bowl with cold water and gentlyagitate to clean off dirt, drain, repeat 2 more times.
- When water is hot or boiling places nettles – using tongs- into thewater and push around until the color changes – and they begin to brighten and plump – just a few seconds.
- Remove by pouring water into a mesh strainer or colander sitting overa bowl – so you can capture the water. Set aside this Nettles water and drink as a hot tea. Drink it plain or add some mint to it.
- Place nettles, garlic, pine nuts, (basil and/or mint if desired) and someoil into a food processor (or Vita mix)
- Add more oil for desired consistency, add salt to taste
Serve with zucchini or spaghetti squash pasta. Dip veggies into it; serve over
roasted cauliflower, or with anything, really.